PRATT – Think you know your Kansas birds? Prove it. Keep track of the number of different species you see between Jan. 1, 2019 and Dec. 31, 2019 and enter the 2019 Kansas Birding Big Year contest, hosted by the Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism (KDWPT). But you’d better bring your A-game. Last year, the winner recorded more than 300 species!
Participants of all skill levels may compete in three age groups: youth (17 and under), adult (18-64), and senior (65 and up). Winners in each category will receive great prizes that may include prints of Rob Penner ink drawings, gift cards and more.
1. Participants must register online at https://ksoutdoors.com/Services/Wildlife-Diversity/2019-Kansas-Birding-Big-Year on or before April 1 to be part of the 2019 contest.
2. Participants must read and abide by the set of rules governing the competition (also available at ksoutdoors.com). These rules are adapted from the American Birding Association Recording Rules and Interpretations and include the Code of Birding Ethics. Breaking or disregard for these rules will disqualify the participant from the competition.
3. Participants are required to log their data into the online service, eBird, available on the Cornell University website, www.ebird.org. Each participant will need to create an individual profile, with sign-in and password to begin submitting their sightings.
4. Participants will need to submit a running total list of observed species quarterly to the program coordinator . This is to help track progress and provide quality control. The program coordinator and competition committee have final say on list totals. Dates for submissions are June 30, September 30 and December 31.
5. Winners in each category will be determined by a committee selected by the program coordinator. Winners will be notified and prizes will be awarded in mid-January of the following calendar year. Categories are defined as:
Youth – 17 and under
Adult – 18-64 (3 skill levels: Novice, Intermediate and Advanced)[KR
Senior – 65 and up
6. Prizes will be awarded based on availability and appropriateness per division, as determined by program coordinator and competition committee.
For more information, visit ksoutdoors.com.
Courtesy of: Kansas Wildlife Parks and Tourism