Volunteers throughout Kansas are doing just that and have been honored with PRIDE Capital Awards for their efforts at making their community a better place to live.
The awards were given by the Kansas PRIDE program, a partnership of K-State Research and Extension, the Kansas Department of Commerce, Kansas PRIDE, Inc. and The Kansas Masons.
“Kansas PRIDE Inc. is honored to highlight the phenomenal works of community volunteers who strive to make their community a better place to work and live,” said Jaime Menon, K-State Research and Extension program coordinator for the PRIDE program.
Six Kansas PRIDE Capital Awards were given in recognition of a special project.
- Alton PRIDE – Built Capital Award for a memorial cross.
- Delia PRIDE – Built Capital Award for concession stand repair; Cultural Award for Delia Days; Social Award for a fitness program; and Human Award for a reading program.
- Lucas PRIDE – Built Capital Award for baseball field improvements.
- Olsburg PRIDE – Financial Capital Award for Land Utfärd (fundraising event); Cultural Award for history book reprint; Social Award for the Olsburg Festival; and Natural Award for Greenwood Park beautification.
- Perry PRIDE- Cultural Capital Award for rural high school stone dedication.
- Rossville PRIDE- Financial Capital Award for the Pallets of PRIDE Art Auction.
“Kansas PRIDE is a volunteer-led organization. These awards allow an opportunity to highlight the hard work the volunteers provide for their communities and the state,” said Jaime Menon, K-State Research and Extension coordinator for the PRIDE program. “Each community has its own unique structure, culture, and assets, and Kansas PRIDE volunteers work to bring out the best in their communities and promote what they have to offer. Through the work of these volunteers, Kansas communities continue to thrive and be a great place to live and raise a family.”
Kansas Gov. Sam Brownback will sign a proclamation designating May 21-27 as this year’s Week of PRIDE.
K-State Research and Extension
For more information: