The University of Missouri Extension has provided the following pumpkin trivia questions.
- Pumpkins have been grown in North America for 5,000 years.
- Eighty percent of the pumpkin supply in the United States is available in October.
- Morton, Ill., the self-proclaimed “pumpkin capital of the world,” holds an annual “Punkin Chuckin” contest.
- The heaviest pumpkin ever weighed 2,323 pounds and was grown in 2014 by a Swiss gardener, according to Guinness World Records.
- Guinness also reports that the largest pumpkin pie on record, which was baked in 2010 in New Bremen, Ohio, weighed 3,699 pounds and measured 20 feet in diameter.
- Pumpkins were once recommended for removing freckles and curing snake bites.