Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation
1. Always wear a full body safety harness while using a tree stand.
2. Most accidents occur while entering, exiting or installing a tree stand. Be especially mindful at these times and make sure you wear your harness.
3. Have a rescue plan in case you fall. This includes connecting your harness to the tree in a way that will allow you to get back on your stand if you fall. Also, keep a knife and cell phone or radio that will be easily accessible if you are hanging in your harness.
4. Inspect your tree stand and safety harness before each use.
5. Read and follow the tree stand and safety harness manufacturer’s instruction manual.
Photo credit: David Beyer