Asparagus, Tomato and Feta Salad
Prepared by: Kelsey Duncan,
University of Missouri Extension
April 17, 2016
Yield: Makes 8 servings
- 6 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds fresh asparagus, tough ends trimmed, dice into 2-inch pieces
- 1 (10.5 ounce) package grape tomatoes, halved
- 2/3 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 4 ounces low-fat feta cheese, crumbled
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Meanwhile, prepare vinaigrette — add vinegar to a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat and allow to boil until reduced by half, about 3 minutes.
- Pour into a jar or bowl and add olive oil, mustard, honey and garlic. Whisk to blend while seasoning with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Add asparagus to boiling water and allow to boil until tender crisp, about 4-5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, fill a medium mixing bowl with ice and cold water. Drain and immediately transfer asparagus to ice water; let rest about 10 seconds then drain asparagus well.
- Transfer to a bowl with tomatoes and walnuts.
- Drizzle vinaigrette over top and toss lightly. Sprinkle over half of the feta then plate and top with remaining feta (just so the feta doesn’t brown from tossing with all the dressing).
Nutrition information per serving
Total Fat: 11.6g
Source: Modified from cookingclassy.com