- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 carrots, peeled, small dice
- 2 celery ribs, small dice
- 1 large yellow onion, small dice
- 1 jalapeño, seeded, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp Code 3 Spices Grunt Rub
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 (12 oz) bottles pilsner beer
- 1 quart heavy cream
- 1 lb smoked cheddar cheese, grated
- 8 oz sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tbsp Grannie’s Horseradish Mustard
- salt and pepper, as needed
- soft pretzel buns, for serving
To cold smoke your cheese, turn on your Yoder Smokers YS640 pellet grill, but do not press the start button. This will allow the fan to circulate the air, without creating any heat. Fill an A-MAZE-N Tube Smoker with your choice of wood pellets. Lay the tube smoker on the main cooking surface inside the grill. Light the pellets from the end with a torch. When the pellets are lit, blow out the fire and let it smoke. Place the cheese on the second shelf and smoke for 2-3 hours. Remove from the grill. Place in the refrigerator, uncovered and chill. When the cheese is cold. Place in a vacuum seal bag. Remove the air and store in the refrigerator for one week before using. This allows the harsh smoke flavor to mellow to an enjoyable level.
Melt the butter in the dutch oven. Add the carrot, celery, onion and jalapeño and cook until softened. Add the garlic and Code 3 Spices Grunt Rub and cook one minute. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly for about 2 minutes.
Stir in the beer,cream and [mustard|Grannie’s Horseradish Mustard. Bring to a simmer then stir in the cheeses, a handful at a time. Taste and season with salt and pepper as desired. Serve with soft pretzel buns.
Recipe provided by – All Things Barbecue, Inc