A healthier take on oatmeal bars, this recipe includes NO butter and NO refined sugar. As a bonus, they’re easy to freeze: simply let thaw for 10 minutes or so before serving.
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 3 Tbsp raw honey, or maple syrup
- 10 Medjool dates pitted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Line a 9×9-inch baking pan with wax paper, leaving an inch or so hanging over the edges.
- In a food processor, add ¾ of the peanut butter, coconut oil, honey, dates, and vanilla, pulsing until smooth. Add in the oats and pulse until well-combined. The mixture will be crumbly, but it should hold it’s shape when pressed into a ball.
- Press ¾ of the oat mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, melt the chocolate chips and remaining peanut butter, stirring until smooth. Pour the chocolate onto the crust layer and spread evenly with a rubber spatula or spoon.
- Crumble the remaining oat mixture over the chocolate, gently pressing it in.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Once firm, remove from the pan by lifting the wax paper by the edges. Cut into bars. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.