- 6 large eggs, beaten
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar, Colby, or Monterey Jack cheese (8-ounce package)
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cups cubed country-style sourdough or whole-wheat bread
- 1 13-ounce package turkey kielbasa, cut into 1/4‑inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onions (2 small)
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper (1 medium)
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper (1 medium)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Softened butter, for the baking dish
Whisk the eggs, milk, cheese, mustard, salt, and black pepper in a large bowl. Add the bread, kielbasa, onions, and bell peppers. Stir well until the egg mixture is completely absorbed. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 12 hours.
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Stir the basil into the egg mixture. Butter a 9 by 13-inch baking dish. Pour the egg mixture into the prepared dish and bake for 1 hour or until the eggs are set. Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
This Brunch Bake recipe comes from the Holter family of Pomeroy, Ohio. The Holter’s have run a dairy farm that has been in business since 1946.