- Total Recipe Time: 20 to 25 minutes
- Makes 16 hand-held salads
- 2 beef Strip Steaks Boneless, cut 1 inch thick (about 10 ounces each)
- 16 Boston or butter lettuce leaves (about 4 to 5-inch diameter)
- 2 cups thin assorted vegetable strips, such as cucumber, red onion, carrots, bell pepper, sugar snap peas
- 1/4 cup frozen shelled edamame, thawed or frozen peas or corn, thawed
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat or regular vinaigrette (any variety)
- 1/3 cup crumbled goat or blue cheese (optional)
- 1/3 cup toasted chopped almonds, walnuts, pecans or hazelnuts (optional)
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon coarse grind or cracked black pepper
- Combine Rub ingredients; press evenly onto beef steaks.
- Place steaks on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, covered, 11 to 14 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill 11 to 15 minutes) for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning occasionally.
- Carve steaks into slices. Place lettuce leaves on serving platter. Evenly layer vegetables onto lettuce leaves. Top evenly with steak. Drizzle with vinaigrette; sprinkle with cheese and nuts, if desired.
- Test Kitchen Tips
- To pan-broil steaks, preheat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Place steaks in skillet; cook steaks 12 to 15 minutes for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning occasionally.
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION FOR INSIDE-OUT GRILLED STEAK SALAD
Nutrition information per serving, using Strip Steaks (1/16 of recipe): 61 calories; 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat; 1 g monounsaturated fat); 22 mg cholesterol; 58 mg sodium; 1 g carbohydrate; 0.4 g fiber; 8 g protein; 3.2 mg niacin; 0.2 mg vitamin B6; 0.5 mcg vitamin B12; 0.7 mg iron; 9.1 mcg selenium; 1.5 mg zinc; 30.9 mg choline.
This recipe is a good source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, selenium and zinc.
Nutrition information per serving, using Strip Steaks (1/8 of recipe): 121 calories; 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat; 2 g monounsaturated fat); 43 mg cholesterol; 117 mg sodium; 3 g carbohydrate; 0.7 g fiber; 16 g protein; 6.4 mg niacin; 0.4 mg vitamin B6; 0.9 mcg vitamin B12; 1.3 mg iron; 18.2 mcg selenium; 2.9 mg zinc; 61.7 mg choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, selenium and zinc; and a good source of vitamin B12 and choline.
Nutrition information per serving, using Flat Iron Steaks (1/16 of recipe): 58 calories; 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat; 1 g monounsaturated fat); 18 mg cholesterol; 59 mg sodium; 1 g carbohydrate; 0.4 g fiber; 6 g protein; 1.5 mg niacin; 0.1 mg vitamin B6; 1.3 mcg vitamin B12; 0.8 mg iron; 8.1 mcg selenium; 2.0 mg zinc; 23.9 mg choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of vitamin B12; and a good source of protein, selenium and zinc.
Recipe/photo/information courtesy of The Beef Checkoff www.BeefItsWhatsForDinner.com