As summer moves forward, peach season approaches. Whether you pick your own or buy them from your local grocer, it is hard to beat this juicy summer treat!
Peaches can be in any meal and more. Here are some ideas to incorporate them into your meals.
- Add peaches to breakfast on your cereal, pancakes, waffles or yogurt.
- Grill peaches for a sweet dessert. The heat will bring out their natural sweetness.
- Make a smoothie with other fruits, yogurt and ice with a peachy twist.
- Preserve peaches!
- Make a cobbler or crisp with fresh peaches. It is a classic dessert for summer.
- Add peaches to water, tea, or lemonade for a refreshing beverage.
- Make a fresh peach salsa or preserve a zesty peach salsa.
Here is a recipe from our Extension Program Kids a Cookin’, it is a kid-friendly (canned peach) recipe but all ages will enjoy it!
3 cans (16 ounces each) peaches, drained and sliced
1 /3 cup margarine
1 /3 cup flour
1 cup uncooked oats, quick or old fashioned
1 /2 cup brown sugar
1 /2 teaspoon salt
1 /2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 /2 teaspoon nutmeg
1. Spray an 8-inch square glass baking dish with cooking spray and arrange peaches on bottom.
2. Melt margarine in a small glass dish in microwave for 45 seconds.
3. Mix flour, oats, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in a bowl. Add margarine and mix until crumbly.
4. Sprinkle mixture over peaches.
5. Microwave uncovered for 7 to 8 minutes.
K-State Research and Extension, Harvey County
Courthouse, PO Box 583, Newton, KS 67114-0583