1 lb. extra lean ground beef or pork
1/3 c. chopped onion
¼ c. diced celery
Salt and pepper
1 lg. egg, beaten
1 ¾ c. skim milk
1 ½ c. shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
2 Tbsp. prepared mustard
8 slices whole wheat or white bread (preferably day-old)
- Spray a 9-inch square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In 12-in. skillet, brown beef, onion, and celery. Drain grease and season with salt and pepper.
- In small bowl, beat egg, milk, 1 cup cheese, and mustard together. Pour half of the mixture into baking pan.
- Place 4 bread slices in bottom of pan. Spoon meat mixture evenly over bread. Place remaining 4 bread slices on top of meat.
- Pour the remaining egg mixture over bread; sprinkle on ½ cup cheese.
- Bake in preheated 325°F. oven 35 to 40 minutes, or until set and lightly browned. Serve immediately.
Tip: Prepare recipe in advance. Cover casserole, refrigerate, and bake later. Allow an additional 5 to 10 minutes bake time.
Yield: 8 servings