(Family Features) Striking a balance between work and home life, friends and family, and hobbies and errands can contribute to a healthy lifestyle. As you look to rebalance certain aspects of your life during the spring season, don’t forget to take your diet into consideration as well.
Including grain-based foods as part of a balanced diet – along with proper exercise – can be an essential part of living a healthier lifestyle and can provide numerous health benefits. In fact, the Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommend a 50-50 balance between whole and enriched grains per day for optimal health. Furthermore, research from the Grain Foods Foundation suggests whole and enriched grains supply a variety of key vitamins and minerals, like thiamin, niacin, riboflavin, zinc, selenium and magnesium, and important shortfall nutrients like dietary fiber, iron and folate.
Incorporating grains into meals throughout the day, including these under-500 calorie recipes for Grilled Cinnamon French Toast with Granola Crunch and Roast Beef and Arugula Sandwiches featuring whole and enriched grains, can aid in maintaining a healthy weight. Additional benefits of consuming grains include lowering cholesterol and supporting digestion, while also providing anti-inflammatory nutrients and fiber, which helps fight belly fat.
Find more nutritionist-developed, balanced and budget-friendly recipes for every meal at grainfoodsfoundation.org.
Grilled Cinnamon French Toast with Granola Crunch
Recipe courtesy of Oroweat on behalf of the Grain Foods Foundation
Prep time: 20 minutes
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced
- 1 banana, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 slices whole-grain nut bread
- 1/4 cup granola, for garnish
- To make sauce: In saucepan, stir together orange juice, brown sugar, butter, vanilla, strawberries and banana. Simmer over medium heat 5-6 minutes, or until flavors have combined, stirring occasionally.
- To make French toast: In shallow bowl, whisk together milk, egg and cinnamon. Dip slices of bread into milk mixture and cook 2 minutes on each side over medium heat on flat griddle or grill, or until golden brown.
- Serve French toast with strawberry-banana sauce and top with granola.
Roast Beef and Arugula Sandwiches
Recipe courtesy of Roman Meal on behalf of the Grain Foods Foundation
Prep time: 5 minutes
- 1 tablespoon low-fat mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons horseradish
- 4 slices whole- or multi-grain bread, toasted
- 4 slices tomato
- 4 ounces lean roast beef, thinly sliced
- 1 cup arugula or wild greens
- Spread mayonnaise and horseradish evenly over two bread slices.
- Layer tomato, roast beef and arugula on top of mayonnaise and horseradish. Top with remaining slices of bread.
Photo courtesy of Getty Images
Grain Foods Foundation