- Total Recipe Time: 1-1/2 hours
- Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 1 beef Tri-Tip Roast (1-1/2 to 2 pounds)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/2 cup fresh rosemary leaves
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
- 8 baby red-skinned potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups chopped Romanesco, brocoflower or cauliflower florets (1-inch pieces)
- 1-1/3 cups diced mixed bell peppers (red, orange and green)
- 1-1/2 cups diced sweet onions
- 3/4 cup baby heirloom carrots, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 cup thinly sliced fennel bulb
- 1 cup dry gin
- 1/2 cup dried apricots
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1-1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 1/2 cup toasted pepitas
INSTRUCTIONS FOR ROASTED BEEF TRI-TIP WITH ROSEMARY PESTO VEGETABLES AND GIN APRICOT SAUCE
- Preheat oven to 425°F. To prepare the Pesto Dressing, combine rosemary, oil, lemon juice, garlic and mustard in blender container. Cover; process 1 minute or until smooth, scraping sides of container as needed. Reserve 1/4 cup dressing; cover remaining dressing and set aside.
Season beef roast with 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon black pepper; coat roast with reserved 1/4 cup Pesto Dressing. Place roast, fat-side up, in shallow roasting pan. Insert ovenproof thermometer so tip is centered in thickest part of beef, not resting in fat. Do not add water or cover. Roast in 425°F oven 30 to 40 minutes for medium rare; 40 to 50 minutes for medium doneness.
- Meanwhile, combine potatoes, Romanesco, bell peppers, onions and carrots into large bowl. Add remaining Pesto Dressing, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/2 teaspoon pepper; toss to coat. Place vegetables on shallow-rimmed baking sheet. Roast vegetables in 425°F oven 35 to 40 minutes until fork tender and edges are lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, to prepare Gin-Apricot Sauce, combine fennel, gin, apricots, water, 1/4 cup lemon juice, lemon peel and 1-1/2 teaspoon rosemary in small saucepan. Simmer over medium heat 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Set aside to cool.
Add sauce mixture to food processor or blender container. Cover; process 2 to 4 minutes until combined. Strain sauce through fine mesh strainer, discarding anything remaining in strainer.
- Remove roast from oven when meat thermometer registers 135°F for medium rare; 150°F for medium. Transfer roast to carving board; tent loosely with aluminum foil. Let stand 15 to 20 minutes. (Temperature will continue to rise about 10°F to reach 145°F for medium rare; 160°F for medium.)
- Carve roast into slices. Serve with roasted vegetables and Gin-Apricot Sauce. Garnish with toasted pepitas, as desired. “Recipe/information courtesy of The Beef Checkoff www.BeefItsWhatsForDinner.com”