- 1 pound Ground Beef (93% lean or leaner)
- 1 cup diced bell peppers (red, green, yellow or orange)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup dark or golden raisins
- 2 teaspoons ancho chile powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- Chopped mango, chopped jalapeño, chopped tomato, chopped fresh cilantro, sliced green onion, shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
INSTRUCTIONS FOR SWEET AND SLOPPY JOE
- Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add Ground Beef, bell pepper and onion; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking beef into 3/4-inch crumbles and stirring occasionally. Remove drippings.
- Stir in tomato sauce, water, raisins, ancho chili powder and oregano; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15 to 18 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly, stirring occasionally.
- Evenly divide beef mixture on bottom half of each bun. Garnish with toppings, as desired; close sandwiches.
- “Recipe/information courtesy of The Beef Checkoff www.BeefItsWhatsForDinner.com”,