Jami Nolen, Nutrition Program, missourifamilies.org
This recipe incorporates fresh herbs — it’s time to start planting and using them!
Yield 9 servings
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1½ tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Lightly spoon the flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Make a well in center of mixture. Combine buttermilk, oil and egg in a bowl; stir in corn and thyme. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture; stir just until moist.
- Spoon batter into an 8-inch square baking pan lightly coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until corn bread is lightly browned and begins to pull away from sides of pan. Cool in pan 5 minutes on a wire rack.