Jami Nolen, former Nutrition and Health Education Specialist
University of Missouri Extension
Just in time for Mother’s Day, a sweet, guilt-free treat for your Mom. These biscotti are delicious, and low in fat and calories. Plus, they are very easy to make!
Yield 20 cookies (serving size: 1 biscotti)
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 2 large eggs or 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1 cup flaked sweetened toasted coconut
- Preheat oven to 300° F.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 4 ingredients (through nutmeg).
- Place sugar, vanilla, coconut extract and eggs in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed for 2 minutes or until thick. Add flour mixture and coconut; stir to combine (dough will be very sticky).
- Turn dough out onto a heavily floured surface; knead lightly 7 or 8 times. Shape dough into a 15 x 3-inch roll.
- Place roll on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, and pat to 1-inch thickness. Bake at 300° for 40 minutes or until roll is golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes on a wire rack.
- Cut roll diagonally into 20 (1/2-inch-thick) slices; stand slices upright on baking sheet. Bake 20 minutes (cookies will be slightly soft in center but will harden as they cool). Remove from baking sheet; cool completely on wire rack.
Calories: 90 (25% from fat)
Fat: 2.5 g (sat 2.2 g, mono 0.2 g, poly 0.1 g)
Protein: 1.8 g
Carbohydrate: 15.3 g
Fiber: 0.6 g
Cholesterol: 21 mg
Iron: 0.5 mg
Sodium: 87 mg
Calcium: 13 mg
Funded in part by USDA SNAP.