Mobile, Ala. – After making it past the opening round of the 2015 NAIA National Men’s Tennis Championships, it was not the way that Bulldog tennis wanted to end the year as they lost 5-0 to the NAIA’s No. 1 team in Georgia Gwinnett College.
It was a quick 5-0 match between McPherson and Georgia Gwinnett, a program that started just a few years ago. Mac fell in all three doubles to a very talented GGC squad. The duo of Allen Darmawan and Hugo Ball-Greene took the most points as they lost 8-3 at No. 3 doubles. Joan-Marc Fajula Rodriguez and Ahmed Lahlou battled deep into points but were unable to win more than a couple, falling 8-2.
In singles, the Grizzlies won at the No. 5 position 6-0, 6-0 and then at the No. 4 slot 6-1, 6-0. McPherson dropped the first set in all of the other sets but they went unfinished as the match was called 5-0 in favor of the top seed of the tournament.
Darmawan and Jaime Roman are the lone two graduating seniors for MC. The youthful group of Bulldogs, seven freshmen, two sophomores, and a red-shirt senior, are all slated to be back next season.
Georgia Gwinnett College 5 – McPherson College 0
- Cox/Konfederak (GGC) def. Fajula Rodriguez/Lahlou (Mac) 8-2
- Hatem/Clements (GGC) def. Carrillo Perales/Carrillo Reina (Mac) 8-0
- McPhee/Morlan (GGC) def. Darmawan/Ball-Greene (Mac) 8=-3
- Jordan Cox (GGC) vs. Joan-Marc Fajula Rodriguez (Mac) 6-3, 2-0 DNF
- Kevin Konfederak (GGC) vs. Ahmed Lahlou (Mac) 6-3, DNF
- Matias Hatem (GGC) vs. Hector Carrillo Perales (Mac) 6-1, 3-0 DNF
- Conner Clements (GGC) def. Hugo Ball-Greene (Mac) 6-1, 6-0
- Lachlan McPhee (GGC) def. Jaime Roman (Mac) 6-0, 6-0
- Stefano Licata (GGC) vs. Jose Maria Carrillo Reina (Mac) 6-1, 2-0 DNF