Spring is best when there is plenty of moisture to start off the growing season. However, with rain comes mud. Here are a few strategies for getting yourself unstuck from the mud:
- A Ratchet Strap and a 2×4– Use a 2×4 scrap and a ratchet strap to secure it to your tire through the rim. Slowly back out of the situation.
- A Towel or T-Shirt– In a similar fashion, tie a towel through the rim to gain extra traction. Consider throwing floor mats under the tires too.
- If you must get your tractor pulled out by someone, here are some safety tips:
- Do not pick any old chain or rope. Pick something strong; it will be under significant stress.
- Check for weak spots on chains. Fatal accidents happen when tow-chains snap at their weakest point and strike the operator.
- Attach the towing device to the lowest, strongest point, like the drawbar of a tractor.
- If more power is required, attach separate towing devices. Pulling single file puts too much stress on one tow device.
RESOURCES: For an in-depth look, here is Perdue Extension’s resource.