Are Poinsettias Poisonous?


At times, an old-time rumor is resurrected that poinsettias are poisonous. This is NOT true. Though there may be an allergic reaction to the milky sap, there has never been a recorded case of poisoning. This rumor has been so persistent that members of the Society of American Florists have sought to dispel it by eating poinsettia leaves for the press.

The AMA Handbook of Poisonous and Injurious Plants states that the poinsettia “has been found to produce either no effect (orally or topically) or occasional cases of vomiting. This plant does not contain the irritant diterpenes” which is the toxin in other members of the genus Euphorbia to which poinsettia belongs.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here