September Lawn Gardening Calendar
- Weeks 1-4: Cool-season lawns are best fertilized in fall. Make up to 3 applications between now and December. Do not exceed rates recommended by fertilizer manufacturer.
- Weeks 1-4: If soils become dry, established lawns should be watered thoroughly to a depth of 4-6 inches.
- Weeks 1-4: Begin fall seeding or sodding of cool-season grasses. Seedbeds should be raked, dethatched or core-aerified, fertilized and seeded. Keep newly planted lawn areas moist, but not wet.
- Weeks 2-4: Lawns may be topdressed with compost or milorganite now. This is best done after aerifying.
- Weeks 3-4: It is not uncommon to see puffballs in lawn areas at this time.
- Weeks 3-4: Newly seeded lawns should not be cut until they are at least 2 or 3 inches tall.
photo – heipe **
About the author