Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Makes: 12 bars
whole wheat flour
old fashioned rolled oats
ground cloves (optional)
butter or margarine
apples, peeled, cored and sliced (about 2 medium apples [3” diameter])
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9″x13″ baking pan.
- Mix flour, salt and baking soda together in a large bowl. Add brown sugar, oats, cinnamon, nutmeg and ground cloves.
- Cut in butter or margarine with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture is crumbly.
- Spread half of the crumb mixture in the baking pan. Top with apple slices and raisins and sprinkle with sugar. Spread remaining crumb mixture evenly over apples.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes. Cool and cut into 12 bars.
- Substitute ripe pears for apples
- Serve warm topped with vanilla yogurt