- Total Recipe Time: 25 to 30 minutes
- Makes 4 servings
- 1 pound Ground Beef
- 2 cans (10-1/2 ounces each) condensed French onion soup
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 4 slices French bread, cut 1-inch thick
INSTRUCTIONS FOR BEEFY FRENCH ONION SOUP
- Heat large saucepan or nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add Ground Beef; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking into 3/4-inch crumbles and stirring occasionally. Remove from saucepan with slotted spoon; pour off drippings. Return beef to saucepan.
- Add soup and amount of water according to soup can directions. Stir in thyme; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes to blend flavors, stirring occasionally.
- Cut cheese to fit bread slices; top bread with cheese. Place bread slices on rack in broiler pan so surface of bread is 3 to 4 inches from heat. Broil 1 to 2 minutes or until bread is toasted and cheese is melted and golden brown.
- Evenly ladle soup into 4 bowls. Top each bowl with 1 bread slice.
- Test Kitchen Tips
- Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed Ground Beef. Ground Beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F. Color is not a reliable indicator of Ground Beef doneness.
Recipe/photo/information courtesy of The Beef Checkoff www.BeefItsWhatsForDinner.com,