- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup Hiland Dairy Fat Free Milk
- 1/2 cup Kamut
- 1/2 cup steel cut oats
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- 2/3 cup fresh or frozen blackberries ( thawed, if frozen)
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 banana, sliced
- 2 tablespoons toasted hazelnuts, chopped
- 16 oz. Hiland Dairy Fat Free Milk
In a large, heavy-bottom sauce pan bring the water, ½ cup milk, Kamut, oats, nutmeg and salt to a boil over medium-high heat.
Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook until Kamut is tender and oats have softened, about 35 minutes, stirring periodically. (Add more water as needed during cooking to prevent the grains from scorching and sticking to the bottom of the pan).
Remove from heat and let cereal stand, covered, before serving.
While the cereal cooks, combine the berries, honey and vanilla in a small bowl and coarsely mash with a fork.
Divide cereal between serving bowls and top each with half of the banana slices and half of the toasted hazelnuts. Spoon some of the mashed blackberry mixture on top.
Serve each bowl of cereal with 8-ounce glass of milk.