- 1 pound Ground Beef (93% lean or leaner)
- 1 cup minced sweet onion
- 1 cup minced green bell pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) unsalted tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns or 8 slider buns
- Dill pickle slices, coleslaw, American or Cheddar cheese slices
- Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add onion, cook 3 to 5 minutes until golden brown. Add ground beef and bell pepper; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking beef into 1/2-inch crumbles and stirring occasionally.
Cook’s Tip: Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed ground beef. Ground beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F. Color is not a reliable indicator of ground beef doneness.
- Stir in tomato sauce, barbecue sauce, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar and mustard; increase heat to medium-high. Bring to a boil; cook 5 to 10 minutes or until sauce is thickened, stirring occasionally. Season with salt, as desired.
- Divide beef mixture evenly among buns. Top with pickles, coleslaw and cheese, if desired. Close sandwiches.
Cook’s Tip: You may serve the beef mixture over hot cooked whole wheat pasta instead of buns.
(Beef, It’s What’s for Dinner)
Website Link: https://www.beefitswhatsfordinner.com/