- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup diced sweet onion
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat dairy sour cream
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup diced, seeded tomatoes
- 1 can (15 ounces) no-salt added black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1 can (4 ounces) diced mild green chiles
- 2 fresh jalapeño peppers, trimmed, seeded and diced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chile powder
- 1-1/2 cups reduced-fat shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Tortilla chips or fresh tortillas (optional)
- 1 recipe Mexican-Style Beef Sausage
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Heat large oven-proof non-stick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add oil and onion; cook 5 minutes until onions are soft. Add Mexican-Style Beef Sausage mixture; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking beef into 1/2-inch crumbles and stirring occasionally. Remove skillet from heat. Stir in sour cream and tomato paste.
Cook’s Tip: Mexican-Style Beef Sausage: Combine 1 pound Ground Beef (93% lean or leaner), 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar, 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves, 1-1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika, 1-1/2 teaspoons chile powder, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chile powder in large bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly.
- Top beef with tomatoes, beans, corn, chiles, jalapeno peppers and cilantro. Sprinkle mixture with cumin and chile powder; top with cheese. Bake in 350F° oven 20 minutes or until cheese has melted and starting to brown. Remove skillet from oven. Garnish with squeeze of lime, as desired. Serve with chips or tortillas, as desired.