Jami Nolen, University of Missouri Extension
January 3, 2010
This soup recipe is healthy and easy to prepare. The recipe only takes 20 minutes so you’ll be feeling warm and toasty in no time!
Makes 5 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups matchstick carrots
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5¼ cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 heads escarole, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup whole wheat orzo pasta
- 2 cups chopped leftover cooked chicken
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat until hot. Add carrots, onion and garlic, cook 4 minutes or until onion softens. Stir in broth and water, heat to boiling. Stir in escarole and orzo pasta, heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat to medium low, simmer uncovered for 6 minutes or until orzo is tender. Stir in chicken and pepper. Simmer 3 minutes or until chicken is heated through.
- Serve with grated Parmesan.
Funded in part by USDA SNAP.
Running out of money for food? Contact your local food stamp office or go online to http://dss.mo.gov/fsd/fstamp/. For more information, call MU Extension’s Show-Me Nutrition line at 1-888-515-0016.