Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time5 mins
Total Time15 mins
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 ¼ cups milk whole milk is best in this recipe
- 2 tablespoons honey or pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
In a large bowl, whisk together white whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
In a medium bowl, combine eggs, applesauce, milk, honey and vanilla. Whisk until smooth. Whisk in melted butter. (The batter will be thick, but avoid adding more milk or your pancakes may turn out flat rather than light and fluffy.)
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and whisk until just incorporated. It’s ok if a few lumps remain; try not to over-mix.
Heat a griddle or skillet over medium heat. Spray lightly with cooking spray. Scoop batter by scant ¼ cup onto the heated griddle. Cook on the first side until bubbles begin to form and the bottom side of the pancakes are lightly brown, about 2-3 minutes. Flip pancakes and cook until the second side is browned, about 2 minutes more. Serve immediately or keep warm in a 200 degree oven while you cook the rest of the pancakes.
To make waffles, prepare batter as directed above and then cook according to your waffle maker’s instructions.
Pancakes and waffles keep well in the freezer. Let cool completely and then freeze in a zip-top plastic bag.
- This pancake batter will be thick. Resist adding more milk, as that will create thinner pancakes. We want thick, light and fluffy pancakes, which requires a thick batter.
- I recommend using white whole wheat flour in these pancakes. White whole wheat is made from a different kind of wheat berry and has a lighter color and a more mild, sweeter flavor than regular whole wheat.
- To make waffles, prepare the batter as directed and then cook according to your waffle maker’s instructions.
Serving: 2pancakes | Calories: 223kcal | Carbohydrates: 34g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 3.5g | Cholesterol: 66mg | Sodium: 436mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 9g