How can you be sure that food arrives safely during holiday shipping? The key is careful planning…
- Make sure the food is frozen solid or refrigerator cold.
- Use an insulated cooler or a heavy corrugated box packed with a frozen gel-pack, or purchase dry ice for keeping food cold.
- Alert the recipient ahead of time and set a mutually-agreeable delivery date.
- Properly label the package: “Perishable – Keep Refrigerated,” on the outside, and provide a complete mailing address and phone number to ensure proper delivery.
- Ship your package by overnight delivery. When you send food via a mail-order company, be sure to specify overnight delivery, and request that the company supply a frozen gel-pack or dry ice in the packaging. This will help ensure that the food will arrive at your destination firm and refrigerator cold.
By Susan Jackson, KSU County Extension Agent, Family and Consumer Science