- Total Recipe Time: 4 hours
- Makes 6 to 8 servings.
- 1 beef Brisket Flat Half (2-1/2 to 3 1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3 cans (14 to 14.5 ounces) unsalted beef broth
- 1 jar (16 ounces) Herdez® Casera Salsa
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 2 tablespoons hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Crunchy Tortilla Strips (recipe follows)
- 16 springs fresh cilantro sprigs
- 1 ripe avocado, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup finely shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
INSTRUCTIONS FOR BEEF TORTILLA SOUP
- Heat oil in stockpot over medium heat until hot. Place brisket in stockpot; brown evenly. Remove brisket from stockpot; season with salt and pepper, as desired. Add onions, cumin and garlic to stock pot; cook and stir 3 to 5 minutes or until onions are crisp-tender. Return brisket, fat-side up, to stockpot. Add broth, Herdez® Casera Salsa and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until brisket is fork tender.
- To prepare the Crunchy Tortilla Strips, cut 2 corn tortillas in half, then crosswise into 1/4-inch-wide strips. Place strips in single layer on baking sheet. Spray tortillas strips lightly with nonstick cooking spray. Bake 4 to 8 minutes at 400°F or until crisp. Set aside to cool.
- Remove brisket. Skim fat from cooking liquid. Trim fat from brisket. Cut into 4 to 6 pieces; shred with 2 forks. Return beef to stockpot. Add corn and pepper sauce; cook 20 to 25 minutes. Stir in chopped cilantro. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Garnish each serving with tortilla strips, cilantro sprigs, avocado and cheese, as desired.
“Recipe/information courtesy of The Beef Checkoff www.BeefItsWhatsForDinner.com”,