With Thanksgiving right around the corner, this recipe seemed fitting. If you are on a health kick, maybe this ones for you!
Healthy Stuffing is an easy and delicious oven-baked recipe that you’ll use every Thanksgiving and/or Christmas. This recipe is not actually for stuffing your bird but to be used as a side. Ingredients include: Bread cubes, celery, chicken broth and onions. Seasoned with salt, black pepper and poultry seasoning. This is also a low calories, low fat, low cholesterol, low sodium, low sugars, low carbohydrates, heart-healthy, diabetic-friendly and Weight Watchers (5 SmartPoints), (4 PointsPlus) recipe. Makes: (12) servings. Healthy Stuffing will be loved by all of your family, friends and guests.
(12 oz) Italian bread, cut into 1″ cubes
6 slices whole wheat bread, cut in 1″ cubes
1 (14.5 oz) can low-sodium chicken broth, divided
1-1/2 cups chopped celery
1-1/4 cups chopped onion
1/4 cup butter
1-1/2 tsp poultry seasoning, or to taste
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
hot water, as needed
1. Spread bread cubes on rimmed baking sheets and set aside to dry out overnight or; Optional: (Dry bread in a 170 F. oven, checking every 5 minutes. Do not let bread brown).
2. Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray the bottom of a 9″ x 13″ glass casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray; set aside.
3. Place bread cubes in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
4. Heat 1/4 cup of the chicken broth in a medium-size saucepan over medium heat. Set remaining chicken broth aside.
5. Add celery, onions and butter to saucepan. Simmer until onions and celery are softened, about 10 minutes. Stir in the poultry seasoning, salt and pepper. Pour over bread cubes and stir to coat. Gradually add remaining chicken broth and stir until evenly moistened. If desired, stir in enough hot water so bread cubes are moistened. Spread into prepared baking dish.
6. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until heated through and top is crusty. Serve hot.
Yield: 12 Servings.
Serving Size: About 2/3 cup per serving.
Weight Watchers (5 SmartPoints), (4 PointsPlus)
Carb Choices: 1-1/2
Calories: 140, Total Fat: 4.5g, Saturated Fat: 2.5g, Cholesterol: 10mg, Sodium: 490mg, Sugars: 3g, Carbohydrates: 23g, Fiber: 2g, Protein: 4g
Original recipe and image from: Hy-Vee, Inc. https://www.hy-vee.com/meal-solutions/recipes/Best-Ever-Stuffing-R7893.aspx
DISCLAIMER: WeightWatchers is a registered trademark of WeightWatchers International Inc. Points, PointsPlus and SmartPoints are trademarks of WeightWatchers International Inc. Authentic information about the program is only available at your local WeightWatchers meeting. This site is not affiliated with WeightWatchers International in any way and WeightWatchers has not reviewed this site for accuracy or suitability for WW members. Information on this site is based on recollections and assumptions of its author and is not warranted for any purpose by its author. All readers are encouraged to go to a WeightWatchers meeting for actual WW info. This site is presented under the rights of the First Amendment; rights worth fighting for. All information is intended for your general knowledge only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. You should seek prompt medical care for any specific health issues and consult your physician before starting a new fitness regimen.
IMPORTANT: This site is not qualified in nutrition or medicine. Diabetes is a serious disease that requires medical attention by a professional. The recipes on this site should not be taken as medical advice. Always use caution when reading a recipe, and always pay attention to exchange sizes. Blood glucose levels can be affected by not following individual dietary guidelines that are set in place by a medical physician. Some of the recipes do use small amounts of sugar. Please check with your physician first. Recipes with sugar are not suitable for all diabetics.